[Gllug] VACANCY: Technical Manager

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 12:39:16 UTC 2009

2009/1/2 jt at camalyn.org <jt at camalyn.org>:
> I don't see how. It takes little effort to reply to someone just to say
> thanks but I'm not interested rather than suggest that that person has
> sent unsolicited e-mails and in such a ridiculous quantity as 500!

Er, no.  What actually was suggested was that they'd received enough
junk from you to warrant having their smtp server respond with status
code 550.  Put basically, this will cause emails to be rejected and
not retried.  When I ran my own smtp server this is exactly the
approach I adopted to unwanted emails.

See http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/05/21/smtp-replies.html or the
relevant rfc.

Ben Donnachie.