[Gllug] Intelligent, multiple, log tails

Fri Jan 9 17:34:45 UTC 2009

Alan Pope wrote:
>> Bit of a newbie question: Does someone have a quick way to view (only)
>> recent updates to ANY and ALL server logs please?
>>

> multitail ?
>
> -iw file interval
> -Iw file interval Like '-i'/'-I' but expects the parameter to be a
> wildcard and the second(!) an interval. Initially MultiTail will start
> monitoring the first file with the most recent modification time.
> Every interval it will check if any new files were created (or
> modified) and start tailing that one. *Don't forget* to put quotation
> marks around the filename as otherwhise the shell will try to substite
> them!
> Cheers,
> Al.

Al,

At first I thought it wouldn't work because none of the filter commands
are time-based (recent changes only). However I rapidly had it running
to 'display all' (see also tail...* suggestion, elsewhere) only to
discover that it's not so good at that either - and then realised that
instead of using the tool post-fact, if I set it running BEFORE I tested
'whatever', then as the test ran the resultant log entries would
automagically appear at the bottom of a combined/all files 'window'. Bingo!

Many thanks,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk