[Gllug] Decent 64-bit linux distro

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Sat Jan 31 16:08:55 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 10:55:26AM -0000, John Winters wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Can anyone point me to a decent 64-bit distro?
>
> I use Debian Lenny 64 bit on several systems (including my laptop) without
> problems.  The only issues are with things like Adobe Flash which didn't
> exist in a 64-bit version (for *any* platform) until recently.  The
> open-source replacements are now becoming usable though.
>
> > Does anyone else get my impression that the 64-bit versions of the popular
> > distros are afterthoughts which aren't tested properly?
>
> Definitely not the case for Debian.  I haven't tried any others.

Likewise for Fedora & RHEL - 64-bit is pretty much the defacto standard
platform I develop & use, likewise for the majority of folks I work
with. If anything i686 is the afterthought these days.

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/    -o-   http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net :|