[Gllug] iproute 2 and sarge

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Jan 4 11:23:45 UTC 2009

John G Walker wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 10:40:42 +0000 Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Debian should just use version numbers[*].  This etch/sarge/lenny
>> nonsense is incredibly confusing.
>
> Someone posted an explanation of these names recently, which I didn't
> understand. If they make sense, I wish somebody would make it clear,

There's not really a lot to understand.  Each new major release of
Debian gets a new name.  In (recent) order they have been:

Sarge	- previous release
Etch	- current release
Lenny	- next release (getting real soon now)

The full list of releases in historical order is:

Hamm, Slink, Potato, Woody, Sarge, Etch, Lenny

As soon as Lenny is released, a new name will be coined for the next
release.  (Maybe it already has been - I don't know.)

The latest released version is also referred to as "Stable" (currently
that's Etch) and the pending release is referred to as "Testing"
(currently Lenny).

All development work is done on a non-release referred to as "Unstable"
and that's always called Sid.

In case it isn't obvious, all the names are taken from the film "Toy Story".

There really isn't anything to understand.  Each release gets a name
(just like Ubuntu) and the most recent actual release is also referred
to as "Stable", whilst the version being prepared for release is
referred to as "Testing".

For more details, see http://www.debian.org/releases/

HTH
John