[Gllug] Membership system: recommendations please

Fri Jan 23 15:45:09 UTC 2009

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:36:41AM +0000, David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
>> Am looking for a (relatively simple) membership system which will track
>> society members and the status of annual fee payments, which can also be
>> hooked up to Apache authentication. Would welcome your recommendations
>> please?
>>
>> - >1,000 members currently on massive htpasswd file!!!???
>
> 1000 members means you should really consider a database of some sort.
> You might go with a flat file database like a CSV file, but to be
> honest it's almost as easy to use a real database.  Any Linux distro
> worth its salt comes with PostgreSQL or MySQL, so use it.
>
> For "htpasswd integration" [I'm assuming that members need
> authenticated access to parts of your website?] Perl DBI, RoR, etc can
> all do this sort of thing driven from a database with relative ease.
>
> eg: with Perl / DBI / Apache::AuthDBI:
> http://search.cpan.org/~pgollucci/Apache-DBI-1.07/lib/Apache/AuthDBI.pm

Thanks Rich.

Yes, after my shock at its size, the massive htpasswd file made me grin
because I figured a quick return for small effort...

What I'm hoping/looking for is a system or set of scripts which will do
basic 'membership stuff' and yet run off a RDBMS (or LDAP) database that
Apache will also be able to use. Alternatively those who have gone this
way before might say that it's a really bad idea to combine the two...

Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk