[Gllug] London Hacklab

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Mon Jan 26 15:12:16 UTC 2009

David L Neil Mailing list a/c wrote:
> John Levin wrote:
>> Follwing on from the recent thread about the absence of hacker spaces in
>> London, plans are afoot to set one up.
>>
>> Join the group if you're interested:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/london-hack-space
>>
>> John
>

> John,
>
> Forgive my ignorance but what would happen there/then?
>
> - and what would be different if we followed-up on proposals to schedule
> 'lab meetings' for GLLUG?
>
> Regards,
> =dn

A hacklab is a community-run physical space, rather than a group like
GLLUG, with facilities that can be used by any relevent parties.

See http://hackerspaces.org/ for much more detail, and a list of
hacklabs around the world.

And below, the announcement posted to the ORG group, which explains
things more fluently.

Best,

john

For some time now London has been in need of a proper hacker space. The
number of hacking
groups has exploded over the last year or so with new events popping up
every weekend.
Despite this we're still missing a meeting place, a place where we can
store projects
and share ideas. Where we can meet like minded people who share our
passions. Where we can
learn new skills without making a significant investment.

We'd like to change that, but we need people to help.

If you're interested, we've set up a preliminary mailing list on google
groups where we can
gather. It's just temporary until we come up with a name and have more
solid foundations.

Find us here: http://groups.google.com/group/london-hack-space

--jonty

--