[Gllug] Email Autoresponders

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 07:25:59 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Martin A. Brooks
<martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
> On 17/01/2009 14:05, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Notwithstanding the general feeling that we don't much like
>> autoresponders... suppose one has been asked to implement one - I'm
>> looking for recommendations.
>>
>> I'm using exim 4.63 as the MTA.
>>
>> The requirement is that each user can easily set or unset an
>> autoresponse of their choice.
>>

> I would use the aged but entirely servicable "vacation".

Installed and tested - looks super.

One worry - how does "vacation" know not to reply to spam?  Inbound
email is scored with spamassasin, and dropped in a SPAM or PROBABLY
SPAM imap folder if appropriate, but it does still get delivered, so
presumably would get answered?

I could imagine the following:

"Hi, I'm travelling for the next 3 days, but if your matter is urgent,
call my cell on 07890 123456.  I will be checking my personal email on
notreal at donttryit.com, but won't have access to work email until my
return."

Yummy, thinks spammer, I got a reply, I have another email address to
try, and (although they probably don't care) I have a phone number.

Joel's link to the exim wiki looked comprehensive, if complicated.
However if vanilla vacation is going to reply to spam, I guess I can't
really use it unmodified?

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk