[Gllug] Beagle Board

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Jan 12 12:23:54 UTC 2009

On 12 Jan 2009, at 11:37, Chris Bell wrote:
[...]
>   The ARM chips are very efficient, and are designed to not need huge
> amounts of RAM to get things done. I am still using my 300MHz
> StrongARM
> powered RiscPC every day, despite having "much faster" Intel machines
> running.

ARM chips are very *power* efficient, which makes it a very good
choice for portable and power-constrained applications, but has little
to offer outside of that niche.

Bully for you if you're happy with a 1997-vintage machine. Not
everybody has the same requirements. I require an operating system
that doesn't suck, for example, which rules out anything Acorn ever
released with their ARM kit.

>   You are probably also running (embedded) ARM chips.

Yes, the notable one being my iPod Touch, which runs Darwin and a
stripped-down OSX userspace compiled for ARM. Mine's a first
generation model, containing a 400MHz ARM11 and is noticeably slow at
some operations such as first display of tracks after sync (as it
scans the index?) and scrolling pages in Safari.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk