[Gllug] Grub on lvm

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 9 11:37:23 UTC 2009

2009/1/9 Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com>:
> Nix wrote:
>> On 6 Jan 2009, James Hawtin uttered the following:
>>
>>> Out of interest Was your /var, /usr, /tmp or /home part of your /
>>> filesystem? I aways give them seperate partitions.
>>>

>> Likewise, only... why would you give /tmp a partition at all? tmpfs has
>> been de rigeur for such things forever, and is significantly faster as
>> well as saving disk space. (/var/tmp is different: that is supposed to
>> persist across reboots, unlike /tmp.)
>>
> But then you're trading /tmp disk for ram, not the best thing to do in
> all cases...

Which cases?

RAM is cheap, around £10 per GByte.  If one is having RAM constraints
throwing an extra 1 GB RAM module at the problem is not going to break
the bank balance, in the case of /tmp it will really boost your
performance (you could go as far as puting other parts of your
filesystem in RAM if you really need to avoid slow disk accesses).
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk