[Gllug] Decent 64-bit linux distro

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Fri Jan 30 19:05:33 UTC 2009

2009/1/30 M.J. Smith <indigojo_uk at yahoo.co.uk>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Can anyone point me to a decent 64-bit distro?

Debian x86-64 (I think the build you want is called AMD64 but it's all
the same instruction set).

> Can anyone tell me how to fix my network problem?

What chipset? Which driver (in the kernel) does Fedora configure the
interface with? More info needed.

> Does anyone else get my impression that the 64-bit versions of the popular distros are afterthoughts which aren't tested properly?  I can't believe the installer for a major distro simply could not handle LVM filesystems.  Does anyone have a fix for these issues or should I just install the 32-bit version?

Seems shoddy but that isn't the impression I get. I've been install
Debian x64 Etch-and-a-half on a 64bit VM for the last 20 mins, using
LVM, and it Just Works. On the other hand you may well *want* 32-bit
versions of lots of things compiled too, if only to save memory.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk