[Gllug] Hi!

jjl at jameslaver.com jjl at jameslaver.com
Fri Jul 10 09:45:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:00:24AM +0100, Nix wrote:

> The cause of this bias remains unclear :/ it's not as if free software
> developers are *more* sexist than other groups

Some people would agree with you. There is a particular feminist on use.perl.org who has been bugging me recently.
She's right to point out things like Matt Aimonetti (of ruby, not perl, I hasten to add)'s rather inappropriate
speech full of naked women pics at a conference, but there were also other complaints that are frankly a bit too
picky (like the name of the 'Iron Man' perl blogging contest, which comes from triathlons and is about endurance, not
as she claims, a reminder that she isn't 'one of the guys').

It all depends where you stand really. I think there's certainly a true fact in that in general, programmers and
sysadmins are male, but I've certainly met competent females in the industry. On the other hand, I wanted to
hire an older female as a programmer in a previous job and management were not too keen on the idea, so there's a
certain level of individual bias in some people.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk