[Gllug] web site costs

Sean Burlington sean at practicalweb.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 14:54:25 UTC 2009

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 10:34:39AM +0100, James Laver wrote:
>> A charity tends to want to conserve money.

no more (or less) than businesses in my experience

>> These things could be achieved quite simply with free message board
>> software (not phpbb) and a mailing list manager like mailman (which
>> has a web interface for subscribing).
>
> Certainly, but what charity has the expertise on staff to set up such
> software, find somewhere to host it, keep it upgraded and so on?

Plenty of charities are large organisations with teams of staff

I used to be employed by a charity - and now I'm considering a contract
with another - I've built websites for quite a few charities.

Any campaigning charity is likely to have a relatively large
communications budget

Two charity sites based on open source software (Drupal) but both with
significant budgets:

http://www.amnesty.org/

http://www.rednoseday.com/

--