[Gllug] Hi!

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:33:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Hari Sekhon<hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> David Damerell wrote:
>> On Sunday, 5 Jul 2009, Nix wrote:
>>
>>> It doesn't seem to happen on this list, but I've seen, fairly
>>> frequently, Debian-obsessed people (never or rarely Debian developers)
>>> act exactly like that: Debian is perfect, Ubuntu is lower that the
>>> dogs... this is plainly a silly attitude.
>>>

>> Straw men aside, I think the real attitude here is that Ubuntu have
>> managed to make a mess of a lot of the things that made Debian good,
>> and that this means it is not particularly useful. I don't think
>> that's a particularly silly attitude.
>>
> If someone were to say that Ubuntu was a Noob's distribution, I wouldn't
> bothering correcting them for the [0-9]% exception rate.
>
> I am warming to Ubuntu a little after years of defiant resistance, but
> Redhat still rules the roost and I don't see how or why any credible
> shops would go Ubuntu. It's only little web2.0 startups without
> significant expertise that are using it from what I can tell of the job
> market.
>
> In my experience ubuntu servers actually have too many non-security
> updates which is a mistake for a server distro as this causes alerts,
> and wastes admin time with patching. I'm yet to hear a very experienced
> and highly skilled person to recommend ubuntu for servers (because they
> should know better).

Who is talking about servers?

Ubuntu is in general better known as *desktop oriented* distro that
just works for non technical users. I can't comment about server
versions  because it is not what I have found in the field so far, but
I fail to see why anybody competent enough could not administer an
Ubuntu server successfully and securely.

I myself use it at home, after having tried Fedora and Mandrake (or
whatever it is called now) with more pain than glory, and have to say
that I am quite pleased. I am sure that those distros and some others
have improved and may be as good or better than Ubuntu, but there is
an advantage to be the first to market with something that works, and
apparently Ubuntu has filled that spot, which was sorely needed.

As for servers of any kind, I will not allow automatic updates from
the net, I don't care who provides them, patches and updates of any
kind must  go to test servers first, then, after at least a cursory
evaluation,  one can allow them in the servers that bring the bacon so
to speak, so the problem you are mentioning is  not exclusive of
Ubuntu necessarily.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk