[Gllug] Introductions to Databases

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Thu Jul 23 23:26:13 UTC 2009

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:38:27AM +0100, John wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I need - and want - to learn about databases, and am looking for a
>> decent introductory text about them.
>
> "MySQL, meet John.  John, meet MySQL.  You're going to learn to hate
> every line of its code before you're finished and then you'll find out
> that every other DB out there sucks just as badly in its own special
> way."

*splutter* I'm sure it will be a little more fun than that!

Thanks to everyone who has replied; am now following up the leads and
taking the advice.

Incidentally, an intro to relational databases, written for humanities
academics and that I found very clear and useful, is chapter 15 of
http://www.digitalhumanities.org/companion/

Thanks for all your help,

John

--