[Gllug] Introductions to Databases

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Fri Jul 17 13:58:16 UTC 2009

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:55:07PM +0100, Richard wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 06:19:44PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>>> It's not *that* long ago that a chunk of the user base were
>>> seeing regular data corruption issues with Postgresql.
>> Back this up with links please.
>
> I'd have some digging to do - when I say not *that* long ago, I mean not
> long ago for me, as opposed to all the thrusting young folk on the list.
> I'm thinking of the transition from Postgres95 to Postgres 6.x which
> would have been 96/97.

I don't remember the developers ignoring data corruption bugs even back
in the 6.x series (which is pretty much where the project started - the
Postgres95 stuff and before were mainly academic systems). As far back
as I can remember (which is 6.x) if it's been found, it's been fixed.

 > For some time after that, though, even though
> the data reliability issues were solved, the performance was terrible

Performance (particularly on v.simple web-app type queries) was not PG's
strong point. I think you'd be hard put to find anyone (even then) who
said it was.

> and there were gaps and annoyances with the SQL implementation that
> meant I would never have considered using Postgresql in production
> systems before version 7.1 or 7.2.

Perfectly reasonable choice. That's why Oracle built such large business
from databases.

Coming up on next week's discussion group:
- Tony Blair: Can he really lead Labour to victory?
- Y2K: Do we still have time to prepare?
- Can RedHat 5 displace Windows on the desktop?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk