[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Ryan Cartwright r.cartwright at equitasit.co.uk
Wed Jul 8 08:45:17 UTC 2009

2009/7/8 Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com>:
> Sean Burlington wrote:
>> One of the things I like about free software is that decisions about
>> what to install stay technical - because non-tech managers don't have to
>> sign off budget
> To me this is one of the biggest benefits of free (gratis) software. I
> don't have to waste time with the whole cycle of bureaucracy, approvals
> and order systems which can be crippling in some companies. I just
> install and get on with it which is much more efficient than than song
> and dance that otherwise occurs and usually takes longer than the job
> itself, wasting everyone's time.

There are good reasons why some red-tape exists and it's not always
about controlling outlay. I can see what you are trying to say but in
reality, installation of any software should be approved by either
those who manage the organisation or those who they have selected to
manage the IT infrastructure. Otherwise you get an anarchic situation
of users (even tech-savvy ones) installing a range of software as they
see fit which can prove nigh-impossible to support and maintain
efficiently.

--
Ryan Cartwright
Equitas IT Solutions