[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Tue Jul 7 12:02:10 UTC 2009

#1 has no place in a company environment really .. if you want to test
or evaluate RHEL, contact RH sales and ask for eval licences.
#2 makes sense, I accept this one
#3 doesn't apply. Companies who sell apps with support for RHEL don't
support them on CentOS AFAIK.

CentOS for development server for a dev team whose work is released
onto RHEL appservers, I can understand. Still a nagging worry that
it's different enough that you're at risk of compat issues but it's
probably close enough to production not to matter in most cases.

>> Is there another use case which I'm missing, where your sysadmins
>> don't spend all day building RPMs from source because you use a cut-
>> down backport-based distro with a tiny number of packages available,
>> and where using an OS whose only rationale is its support contract
>> without a support contract isn't batshit insane?
>
> CentOS supply binary RPMs through yum in a similar way to Fedora,
> so no need to spend any time compiling source.

Is that an intentional missing of the point?

You need to compile from source anything which isn't distributed as a
RHEL-blessed package. Obviously this applies to every distro, but to
see why it matters for CentOS users, just compare the package counts
of RHEL and Debian Stable. Consider the maintenance cost of building
your own packages of things the distro doesn't see fit to include
because it would be tricky to maintain hacky backports to them. The
TCO of server ownership seems to have a MAJOR component which is
sysadmin time to build/maintain the OS. Anything which adds to that
seems a false economy.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk