[Gllug] Red Hat versus other qualifications

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 6 14:18:35 UTC 2009

Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:23:00PM +0100, Alain wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 02, 2009 at 04:12:23PM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not impressed by the prejudice against certifications among many
>>> geeks.  At some levels of the business, Software Engineering is one of
>>> the last refuges of the cowboy and too many people who should know
>>> better seem to relish the lack of standards and general shoddy practice.
>>>
>> That is because there are some cowboys who are able to get through some of
>> the certification exams and still end up knowing zilch.
>>

> No, really, there are plenty of cowboys who've never even tried to get a
> certification.  In the environments served by people on this list, I'm
> willing to bet that the cowboys without a chitty significatnly outnumber
> the cowboys with.  The widespread prejudices against responsible
> standards and working practices only make that worse.

I worked with one such cowboy without a qualification to his name and I
have witnessed in the field just how many people who do not go the extra
mile (or ten) to read everything, do exams, test themselves etc are
invariably not as good as those that do.

The problem is that it's easy to say that "I could do that", but until
you do, you never really know so your perception is based on ego rather
than on fact.

same_person + cert >= same_person

I am planning to have a crack at the RHCE hopefully in August, but
without any training, just leveraging my years of experience and a book
for brush up with my test environment... so any advice is most welcome.

-h

"Something tells me I could easily beat those trained professionals..."
-- Bender "Bending" Rodriguez

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon