[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Fri Jul 10 11:34:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 11:45:52AM +0100, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> A standard *base* I have absolutely no problem with.  An enforced limit
> is, for a potentially productive development team, a paranoid, hobbling
> restriction.  Treat them like adults, give them guidelines about what
> they shouldn't do, explain how this caused a problem when they forget
> the guidelines, discipline them if they break things stupidly,
> maliciously or repeatedly.  *Manage* them.  Don't treat them like
> drones.

Think one thing most geeks forget is, most companies don't make money from
IT, it is only a cost. Software companies have been very agressive with
large companies over installation of software, from an accounting point of
view knowing what is on what machine has become important. Other reasons for
locking things down, is the ability to reproduce things, if a developer
tweeks a machine, have we made sure that knowledge is reproducable (if we
lose a machine or a developer?), is it compatible with other tweeks? One of
the largest annoynaces can be different package and updates between an dev
and a production evironment.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk