[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 13:34:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Joel Bernstein<joel at fysh.org> wrote:

> I'd appreciate feedback from RHEL licensees who've reported bugs to RH
> support and had them resolved by backporting upstream fixes. In my
> eyes this is a fragile process. I distrust it.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course, but sometimes, it's the
correct solution. Take, for example, cherrypy. I'd much rather my
upstream vendor backported fixes to my current version than to be told
to upgrade and have to rewrite my code (because cherrypy changes the
API with every release). An extreme example, perhaps, but it's one
I've run into in the real world. In some other cases, upgrading will
be the right approach. But as a general rule, companies view new
versions with suspicion (and rightly so IMHO), so RH and Novell seem
to be giving their customers what they want by backporting. It's hard
to argue with that as a business strategy.

Tet

--
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
understand the exponential function -- Albert Bartlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk