[Gllug] Belkin KVM not working with usb mouse and keyboard ports

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 18 17:41:08 UTC 2009

I'm trying to set up a new Dell machine with openSUSE 11.1 and KDE 4.
For the rest of my PCs I use a Belkin kvm that connects the mouse and
keyboard into PS/2 ports and it works. However, the new Dell doesn't
have PS/2 ports and I can't get the machine to detect the mouse and
keyboard (at all) unless I plug them in directly.

I'm using a Belkin four-port kvm, model number F1DJ104P. Does anyone
know of a driver I could download to my Dell PC that would detect the
devices via the kvm? The Belkin web site seems to be  in pieces and is
absolutely no use.

Alternatively, since I'm not particularly attached to the kvm, can
anyone suggest a kvm switch that I could buy instead? It would have to
have a minimum of four ports and be able to handle both Windows and
Linux (all flavours with both OSs) machines, with both usb and PS/2
ports for mouse and keyboard. If it could handle audio, then that would
be an improvement on what I've got already.

This isn't too obscure a set-up, is it?

Incidentally, you may notice this query elsewhere, since I've posted
it on a couple of forums as well,

--
 All the best,
 John