[Gllug] Hi!

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:06:33 UTC 2009

Jose Luis Martinez wrote:
> Such level of support is more than enough for many, specially for
> desktop machines, where we can reinstall something quickly to replace
> what we have if needed (once you move desktops away from proprietary
> solutions, a wholesale migration to a different distro is immensely
> simpler than replacing a proprietary solution, since we have properly
> packaged applications for all major distros and most of the smaller
> ones).

If we're only talking desktops then I'm not sure anyone should care,
Rich and I implied servers I believe since RH has little interest in
desktops since they don't seem to make much money.

Also, have you see how much Ubuntu charges for desktops? It's $250 per
year for 9-5 support or $900 for 24x7 *per desktop*. That's outrageous!
Over years I think this racks up to way more than M$... (although you
probably get better support for that price but still...)

You're right that it would be easier to go from Ubuntu to another distro
than from one proprietary operating system to a linux desktop, but I
can't imagine anyone being thrifty enough to get ubuntu supported
desktops, Microsoft would be the cheap choice in this scenario, and
you'd get all that compatibility and users would get all their favourite
apps, so I just cannot see the case for ubuntu desktops in this context.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon