[Gllug] A step for free software.

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Jul 9 17:12:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 06:04:25PM +0100, lesleyb at herlug.org.uk wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 06:21:44PM +0200, Isabell Long wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Many of you who keep up with the news might already know this, as it
> > is I posted it to another list I contribute to, but I looked at the
> > BBC News and saw this a few weeks ago:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8117064.stm
> >

> <snip>
> To quote -
> "It runs on Asus, Dell, HP - it runs on anything," said Mr Bender. "It even runs on phones."

> Unfortunately my Dell laptop refuses to boot from USB despite having
> the option in BIOS.

A boot helper CD exists:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick#Boot

> I'm glad participants have decided to keep the Open Source work
> going on this project.

If anyone wants to get involved, OLPC UK would welcome more
participation (one doesn't have to be a developer or anything):

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_UK/#Get_Involved

We have meetings regularly and especially need people who would like
to help get 50 laptops into a London school:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-uk/2009-July/000273.html

And the software (SugarLabs) group is always looking for anyone as
well:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Getting_Involved

> Regards
>
> L.