[Gllug] Introducing the Google Chrome OS

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Fri Jul 10 19:34:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 08:46 -0400, Andrew Farnsworth wrote:

> I bought a netbook with windows XP ONLY because it was exactly the same price as
> the Linux model.

Perhaps you should have sopped around a little more.  My netbooks cost
£100 less each because they weren't hobbled with XP.

>  I bought it, filed the license in my drawer, (always good to
> have an extra windows XP license lying around[*][**]) and installed Linux on it.

Fair enough if that suits you, but it would be a waste of money to me!

> [*]   I work with Windows... no way around it in the Enterprise arena.

There is - you just have to seek out enlightened employment!

> [**]  Also, I have many family & friends[***] who use me as computer support.

Fair enough, but it's probably better to migrate them away from the MS
brokenware - you'll get many less calls that way!

> [***] and NO, I'm not going to try to convert my 70+ year old mother to linux.

My 80+ year-old Father had little trouble adapting to Ubuntu after many
years of using (and complaining about) Windows.  He decided to try a few
other distros, and seems to have settled on Fedora, but uses Puppy on
his ageing laptop, running entirely in RAM, because he likes the speed
that it gives with his ancient hardware!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk