[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:47:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Sean Burlington<sean at practicalweb.co.uk> wrote:

> What about PHP 5.2 - released in November 2006 and still not supported
> by RedHat?

That's an edge case, as I'm sure you well know. It was released right
around the feature freeze for the last RHEL release. At that point,
do you put it in anyway, and run the risk of it being a lemon that
you have to support for the next 7 years, or do you stick with the
previous release which has at least had the benefit of a lot of
testing? I'm sure you can find plenty of similar cases that saw
daylight just as an Ubuntu LTS or Debian Stable release was about
to be frozen. We're nearing the next RHEL release, so naturally,
there are going to be a lot of packages that people look at in the
current RHEL release and see as obsolete.

Plus, as Karanbir says, for those that want a newer PHP, it's been
in RHWAS for quite a while.

Tet

--
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
understand the exponential function -- Albert Bartlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk