[Gllug] Bios issue

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Jul 12 23:07:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 13:05 +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On 12/07/2009 12:00, Dylan wrote:
> >
> > It's a Foxconn A6VMX series bought as 'bare bones' from Novatech. Does anyone
> > know of any issues with these boards? Would a BIOS upgrade be advisable
> > (getting him to agree to that might be difficult!)
> >

> That's almost certainly some kind of motherboard fault. Given the age,
> I'd just get him to return the system as faulty and have him perhaps
> feign wild-eyed incomprehension if they ask him too many technical
> questions.

The other possibility is a virus - there are two or three about (CIH is
one) that screw about with the BIOS of a Windows machine after a number
of reboots.  The only "fix" is to re-flash the BIOS with a known-good
configuration and reinstall Windows (if you must) or persuade the user
that it won't happen again with a proper operating system!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk