[Gllug] Hi!

pavithran pavithran.s at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 19:15:02 UTC 2009

2009/7/6 Jose Luis Martinez <jjllmmss at googlemail.com>:
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Hari Sekhon<hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Who is talking about servers?
>
> Ubuntu is in general better known as *desktop oriented* distro that
> just works for non technical users.

I was of the same opinion till yeeaterday . Now I am quite stisfied
that Ubuntu LTS is a better choice that current Ubuntu ditribution  .

This is the reason :
I installed Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE4 on home machine before I left India
. My dad used the machine for many days . We used to communicate via
the proprietary VOIP tool called skype . I didn't believe in the
reliablity of Ekiga nor even the stablity of the application .

One fine day the Hard disk was full / something happened ( I am  not
sure because my dad cant paste error logs :( )

My uncle who was a windows user came and installed Windows Xp and
skype on it . But every day I was really f*ked by the feeling that my
own machine is not running FOSS :(

I used shipit to send a copy of ubuntu and kubuntu 9.04 . I somehow
sent my old friend to my place who installed Ubuntu 9.04 on it . But
we were dissapointed by it .

The broadband which was a ADSL connection configured via PPOE using a
tool pppoeconf sometimes get disconnected by itself . And even
restarting the netire network doesnt bring back the network :(

Without network there is almost no point in using the machine as my
dad uses the machine to read news and talk to me via VOIP .

When the network was working we also had the problem with skype who in
its site gave  a binary for Ubuntu 8 which we anyways downloaded and
installed Qt4 .

The skype sound was not working , the test call failed while gnome
sound recorder was able to record and play sounds . :(

I really hated this . I wish badly now that there is a open source
VOIP client hence searched for them.

Ekiga : It's usablity s*ks . My dad was unable to use it :( It didnt
detect my video device which was detected both by UVC and Skype

Wengo Phone : Strangely the company wengo dot com shyt dows and the
project has a new name ! The binary is not available in ubuntu,  OMG
should I ask my dad to compile from source ;)

My friends using google talk and Yahoo messenger in windows still dont
understand why they were not able to call me !!

No wonder Kopete libjingle integration which was google summer of code
project is still in beta or non usable state
Pidgin was trying to implement voice for yahoo protocol .. looks like
GNU/Linux in desktop has long way to go before we prove it usable to
our win* using friends/peers/relatives :(

Regards,
Pavithran

--
pavithran sakamuri