[Gllug] Hi!

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jul 9 23:00:24 UTC 2009

On 9 Jul 2009, lesleyb at herlug.org.uk uttered the following:
> I also suspect the population is generally 48/52 with women in the
> majority so your estimate of 2352 might need revising :)

This is so much not true in the free software community (especially the
free software developer community) that I actually know more male->female
transsexual free software developers than born-female ones! The male-over-
female bias is that extreme.

The cause of this bias remains unclear :/ it's not as if free software
developers are *more* sexist than other groups, so the explanation must
be elsewhere. Possibly it's a self-reinforcing effect: women don't much
like being in groups entirely composed of men. (But if this is the
explanation it's somewhat odd that this effect would operate in mailing
lists and other non-face-to-face settings.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk