[Gllug] Laptop Docking stations for extra monitors

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Thu Jul 2 09:41:19 UTC 2009

Aaron Trevena wrote:

> I'm rather used to the 1600x1050 15.4" panel on this laptop but would
> like to have 2 slightly lower (1400x900 or something) screens to get
> more real estate and not need me to sit quite as close to read small
> text.
>
> The laptop ( hp/compaq 6715b) can manage about 2 * 1024x768  if I add
> another monitor but that feels a major step backwards other 1 decent
> monitor.

I've got an old Dell Inspiron that's currently running it's internal
screen on 1200x800 and an external 17" at 1280x1024. I've set it to
align the tops of the screens for dragging purposes.

I use the external screen for my main work, and keep the laptop for the
"other" bits and pieces (terminal, window I'm cutting and pasting
to/from, palettes/controls).

I've found it works well for me with two limitations:

1. Actually using the laptop away from the desk can be a pain, since
I've got windows remembering sizes/positions that are no longer useful.
You might want a second user for this.

2. Various versions of Gnome's taskbar have some issues with registering
apps running on the second screen (I only have the taskbar on one).

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk