[Gllug] Introducing the Google Chrome OS

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Jul 8 09:13:16 UTC 2009

2009/7/8 Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org>:
> Considering how poor/broken the version of Linux that Asus shipped
> was, that may be no bad thing for us.

Maybe now, nearly two years on. But at the time it was perfectly fine.
It recognised 3g dongles (which many linux distros didn't out of the
box), wifi worked (although I have seen reports of failure here and
there) and had a graphical update tool which could do system updates
_and_ bios updates easily with little fuss. Another benefit Xandros on
the Eee had was the 'reset' which would revert all changes made back
to factory defaults in about 2 mins with no external media required.
I've not seen any Linux distro with that feature.

Cheers,
Al.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk