[Gllug] IPv6 ?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Jul 1 20:40:53 UTC 2009

Chris Bell wrote:
> Hello,
>    Thanks for the replies, do you use any specific equipment, or does most
> just work? I am thinking of the whole range of hardware, including modems,
> switches, hubs, etc.

IPv6 will work fine with any NIC, switch and hub.  The only item which
you need to worry about is your ADSL router.  If you want it to handle
IPv6 natively then you'll need a fairly specialized bit of kit.  Most
(all?) of the ones sold for domestic use won't handle IPv6 natively -
hence the need for a tunnel to your ISP (assuming of course that your
ISP supports IPv6) or tunnel broker.

There are some instructions on A&A's web site on how to set things up
with their systems and Debian.  The only problem I had was getting my
router to forward on the tunnel packets to my selected machine, but I
found a way to do it (detailed in the instructions).

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk