[Gllug] docbook vs latex

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Jul 13 12:25:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 01:07:48PM +0100, Matthew King wrote:
[...]
> I'll second that. Should I ever wish to typeset a book, I'd like to know
> why not to use LaTeX.

The usual gripes I hear are bitching about LaTeX's apparently random table
and figure placement, and awful image support. These can be worked around
with some deviousness and/or packages from CTAN (although your LaTeX
distribution will probably have the more useful ones included already) but
it can be somewhat trying.

ISTR that my usual trick to deal with tables is \afterpage to force tables
onto the next page rather than clump up at the end of the chapter, but it's
been a long while since I had to typeset anything big and I forget the exact
details.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk