[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 10:24:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM, JLMS<jjllmmss at googlemail.com> wrote:

> In my opinion one should agree to a base system with the geeks which
> they are happy with, and then lock it down.

"The geeks" isn't particularly helpful. We're not a homogeneous lump.
A system that most of my co-worker would be happy with would be hell
for me, and probably vice versa.

> In any operation bigger than two guys in their garage, somebody should
> be nominated as the infrastructure maintainer and be given the power
> to do his job.

I agree with the principle wholeheartedly. I just disagree with your
threshold. I'd say once you get above 25 or so employees, you need
to start considering locked down desktop. But below that, the benefits
of having a stable desktop don't justify the loss in productivity,
particularly in a small high tech startup, where people generally
know what they're doing, and can fix their own problems. And depending
on the make up of the company that threshold should be adjusted up or
down accordingly.

Tet

--
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
understand the exponential function -- Albert Bartlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk