[Gllug] Bios Issue

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Mon Jul 13 06:30:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 00:13 +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
        > On 13/07/2009 00:07, Christopher Hunter wrote:
        > > The other possibility is a virus - there are two or three
        about > > (CIH is one) that screw about with the BIOS of a
        Windows machine > > after a number of reboots.

        > I think the last version of Windows that was vulnerable to
        this
        > was ME, anything NTish (so, XP, 2k, 2k3, Vista etc etc etc)
        is
        > immune.  Seems unlikely he'd be running such an old Windows.

At work we had a warning that there was an email attachment about that
included an updated version of CIH.  McAfee (for what they're worth)
describe this as a current threat for every version from 2000 onwards.
My office had several machines with trashed BIOSes over the last few
weeks (I work in a "government" department, and Windoze is almost
unavoidable!).

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk