[Gllug] Fibre cabling

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Tue Jul 28 12:15:56 UTC 2009

On Tue 28 Jul, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> Optical fiber is expensive compared to CAT5e cables, so I would
> recommend only using them if you have to.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James

   Thanks for the reply. I assume that the price will drop if it becomes the
normal connection method. I am aware of different jointing techniques
including epoxy and heat welding, and some years ago heat welding was
considered to be best, but best practice techniques and fibre types may
change, so I need to update my knowledge. Several years ago I had to use a
5KM 12 fibre ruggedised link that was damaged about 2KM from one end within
24 hours of delivery. Only 6 fibres worked, so contractors cut and rejoined
all the fibres in the cable so that they could make a clean repair. It was
heat welded overnight when the cable was not in use.

Chris Bell NEW address: chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk