[Gllug] IPv6 ?

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Jul 1 19:53:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 09:44:18PM +0200, Christof Meerwald wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 19:43:06 +0000 (GMT), Chris Bell wrote:
> >    Thanks for the replies, do you use any specific equipment, or does most
> > just work? I am thinking of the whole range of hardware, including modems,
> > switches, hubs, etc. A quick look around did not show any mention of IPv6 on
> > boxes and packaging, and I have not seen hardware configuration information
> > for IPv6, although there is plenty of information with Linux.
>
> I don't think many consumer broadband routers support IPv6 out of the box
> yet. I am using a USB ADSL modem (Speedtouch 330) connected to my Linux
> machine, so Linux does all the network stuff and it was just a matter of
> adding ipv6 to the ppp options file.

When I was in the US, I ran IPv6 on my home network. The ASDL modem was
only IPv4 capable, so I had a LinkSys wifi router running OpenWRT to
provide the IPv6 connectivity, tunnelling over the IPv4 modem link.
Would have been nice if the modem (or ISP for that matter) could have
done IPv6 directly instead of requiring a tunnelled setup :-(

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
|: http://freshmeat.net/~danielpb/    -o-   http://gtk-vnc.sourceforge.net :|