[Gllug] Introductions to Databases

Ryan Cartwright r.cartwright at equitasit.co.uk
Tue Jul 14 11:00:36 UTC 2009

2009/7/14 John Levin <john at technolalia.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> I need - and want - to learn about databases, and am looking for a
> decent introductory text about them. Something general, not an
> instruction manual, nor about a specific application. Perhaps a history
> of their development. Any recommendations?

"Databases" is a huge subject with very wide scope. It might be better
if you have a think about what sort of database is driving this need.
So if you require a simple desktop database for a single user, your
learning curve will differ (to start with) than if you are branching
out into client-server types. If you are looking for a more general
background intriduction for now, then have a look at Wikibooks DBMS
entry[1]. But honestly it'll be easier if you figure out what kind of
database you need to learn about before embarking on the mamoth task
of "learning databases". ;)

HTH
[1] http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Design_of_Main_Memory_Database_System/Introduction
--