[Gllug] New mobile phone scam alert

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Jul 17 09:05:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 08:54:01AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
> I have just seen an alert from local police about a new scam call
> requesting that a number be keyed in, current reason given is "testing
> connection", but it opens the SIM for cloning.

Probably *#06# to get the phone's IMEI. Which has nothing to do with the
SIM. You can prove this by removing your SIM and then dialling that number.
The phone will probably fall into some sort of special mode without a SIM,
but whatever mechanism allows you to dial 999 should also allow you to dial
*#06#.

The number *should* match the serial number on the back of your phone,
otherwise you might have a stolen phone that's had its IMEI changed. (Or, of
course, it's a refurb or repair where the electronics and case came from
different handsets.)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk