[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 09:41:52 UTC 2009

2009/7/7 Alan Pope <alan at popey.com>:
> 2009/7/7 Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com>:
>> Would you want to pay $900 *every year for every desktop machine* in
>> your organization? C'mon... and people talk about the never ending
>> treadmill of M$, this would be a more expensive and faster moving
>> treadmill, I don't know how many accountants or IT staff would thank you
>> for that...
>>

> I'm not convinced you'd even _have_ to pay $900 for _every_ desktop.
> Maybe for every build, or every model & build, not not every machine.

$900 is probably about right, Given the fact that if you have more
than 20 members of staff, You end up with at least one member of staff
doing large amounts of Desktop Support and trouble shooting (Even
under windows) Its usually silly things, but it soon adds up. And if
you think "I don't spend the equivalent of 1 member of staff and have
more than 20 staff on support" think again, How much self help goes
on? How much other staff time is wasted, if you added it all up it
will come to more than one member of staff...

Think about it you can charge £50 to fix a computer, (Home PC etc,)
$800 is still only 1 call out a month and how many people only call
desktop support only once a month and don't do any PC admin themselves

I would expect a slight deduction for desktops than servers but only
because of the bulk. Its also an extremely annoying, tedious job. On
the other hand if everything goes web based Support goes down but only
because everything is on the server which still needs support and you
then have a load of dumb terminals..... But even dumb terminals need
some support.

Peter.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk