[Gllug] Why Can't disk fail messages be more obvious

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Tue Jul 21 15:57:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 11:46:56AM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
> Is there a handy disk health monitoring program that I can run
> periodically? Should I run badblocks from a weekly cron?

Running badblocks periodically is an option, but a better one is to run
smartd from smartmontools. It can monitor disks that support SMART (most
modern disks do) and report to you when certain thresholds are exceeded
(for example, read errors). Has worked well for me in the past. Debian
package is smartmontools.

[1] http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

-mj
--