[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Jul 11 12:29:51 UTC 2009

On 11 Jul 2009, JLMS told this:
> You can standardize to 2 or 3 editors or varying complexity. You don't
> need 10.

Why restrict the users?

> The reason for this is simple: every piece of software is an
> additional problem waiting to happen (been there, done that, got the
> t-shirt).

I defy you to find a time that a *text editor* broke something else,
except in ways that people can do with other text editors (e.g. the
stupid Windows text editor habit of tabifying the whole file whenever
you look at it: banning one text editor won't solve that disease because
it's so regrettably common).

> The place for a software repository of the kind you are talking about
> is a properly maintained software repository, not a user's home
> directory.

Yeah, right. That would mean giving me root, which would mean simply
immense amounts of pointless bureaucracy. This is 'under the radar' so
that it doesn't have to collide with the corporate bullshit which rains
down from the big company overhead.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk