[Gllug] The Adventures of Team ARIN

GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Sun Jun 28 09:57:50 UTC 2009

At first it was Google introducing Chrome using a comic, now Arin have
decided to follow the same path. Is this the best way to push IPv6? If
comics are your thing, this may be of some interest even if the UK is in
RIPE territory:-

Regards,
=dn

The Adventures of Team ARIN
Introduction

Welcome to the world of Team ARIN! We hope you find these publications
educational and entertaining. Team ARIN is a fictionalized view of the
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN), its processes, and the
whole concept of Internet governance. Though our heroes are fictional,
the issues they face are very real.

Team ARIN is a group of superheroes that represent accessibility,
responsibility, information, and neutrality; four of the guiding
principles for Internet governance and operation. ARIN and its community
strive to work under these principles. Technical information describing
how Regional Internet Registries allocate Internet numberresources, like
IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, is freely available on websites across the
Internet. By presenting this information in a fun and informal way, we
hope to give you a new perspective on important technical facts and the
principles under which ARIN operates. Our approach to our duty as a
Regional Internet Registry is defined in our mission statement:

     "Applying the principles of stewardship, ARIN, a nonprofit
corporation, allocates Internet Protocol resources; develops
consensus-based policies; and facilitates the advancement of the
Internet through information and educational outreach."

Some liberties are taken in order to present this information in comic
book style, but the aspects of the story that illustrate how ARIN and
its community work are taken directly from technical documents, like
ARIN's Policy Development Process, and based on the ideals and roles
described in multiple RFCs.

Team ARIN is not a typical group of superheroes -- they do not battle a
literal enemy directly. Instead they use their powers to educate the
public and facilitate community participation in the existing open,
transparent, bottom-up policy process. Team ARIN presents the true
mission of the "real" team ARIN, as we facilitate the open and
transparent policy process, technical discussions, and act as an
informational resource for the community.

We hope you will read and enjoy the adventures of Team ARIN!
The Adventures of Team ARIN (28 June 2009)
https://www.arin.net/knowledge/comic.html

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk