[Gllug] Large raid 5/5+0 setup

Andy Millar andy at andymillar.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 12:27:23 UTC 2009

> What motherboard is that running on?
> I've been looking at an Antec 1200 ultimate gamer case, what does the
> one you play with have?

No idea what the motherboard. It was the predecessor to
http://www.xcase.co.uk/System-X-Tychen-3u-Xeon-16-drive-Hotswap-p/system-x-316red.htm

> > Configured in RAID6 with a hot spare, I get 17.69 TB usable space.
>
> Are all the drives hot swapable?

Yes.

> That is about 3 times the amount that I was currently looking at. I
> think I was being over optimistic. :)

Go enterprise and you're looking at circa £25k for 4TB iirc.

> About how long ago was this bought?

6 months ago.

> Any annoyances with maintaining this server?

I'm running openfiler on it. There were one or two things that needed to
be done to get it installed (mainly that the msdos partition table that
openfiler uses doesn't support >1.13TB (i think) volumes.). These are
easily overcome.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk