[Gllug] WiFi modem / routers etc - recommendations for increased range please!

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Wed Jun 17 14:02:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 00:42 +0300, Bob Giles wrote:
> We are looking to upgrade our network and were wondering what solutions
> members could suggest to increase the wireless range. We get by at the
> moment but I intend moving what I laughingly call my 'office' along with
> the phone connection, modem / router and two desktops into the roof
> space of our house. I anticipate problems with wireless connections to
> the portable jobbies.

I have seen it noted that sometimes using an internet connection away
from the main wall jack can introduce noise the reduces the quality of
the signal. It has generally been about ADSL I am unsure if the same
will be true with ISDN.

Maybe you should consider if it would be practical to leave the router
where it is and set up your extensions from it to your new 'office'.

> I would ultimately like to be able to access the network over three
> floors, all of which are separated by reinforced concrete. There is an
> awful lot of steel used in the construction of our house which tends to
> play havoc with wireless signals.

If you place the router somewhere on the middle floor you will reduce
the maximum distance to the most locations within the house. If you
already can make it through 1 floor + 1 wall then you will likely have
reduced most locations to being only 1 floor +1 wall from such a
location.

> The only other 'issue' that I have is that we have an ISDN phone system
> and the modem/router has to connect through this.
If your 'office' is currently in the middle of the middle floor of the
three floors then moving the connection equipment might be counter
productive.

The only place I lived, where this sort of thing was a bit of an issue,
we mounted the router near the ceiling in the stair well.

Justin

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk