[Gllug] PDF version changes

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 16:24:39 UTC 2009

While we're talking about PDFs, does anyone know of a utility to
convert a PDF from one version to another? Cairo doesn't give you any
say in what sort of PDF you'd like, so all my inkscape documents are
coming out as PDF 1.4. Which is all well and good, but my print shop
can only handle PDF 1.3. Similarly, pdftk "upgrades" all PDF files it
sees, so if I use it to concatenate two PDF 1.3 files, I get a PDF 1.4
file as output :-(

So far I've had to resort to a round trip via PostScript , and
ghostscript's ps2pdf13, and then manually fixing up the MediaBox,
TrimBox etc in pdfedit afterwards. Yes, it kind of works, but it's
clumsy and error prone, and not all PDF features survive the round
trip. Fortunately, I haven't needed any of those features so far, but
I can see a time in the not too distant future when I will. I'm also
not sure that the colour profile information is being preserved in the
embedded images, which for my current application is an annoyance
rather than critical, but it could well be in the future.

Tet

--
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
understand the exponential function -- Albert Bartlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk