[Gllug] Fedora 11 gets it wrong

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jun 10 10:02:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 08:15:03AM +0100, Tethys wrote:
[...]
> 1. It's not a desktop OS, or at least, it shouldn't be. That's not how
> where it was initially aimed. In reality, it increasingly is.

Basically, GUIs as typically implemented on Linux are a security risk and a
performance drag on the system, even if they're not actually being used. It
also offends my sense of aesthetics to have something installed and running
that is unnecessary.

> 2. I'm not. But I'd like to be able to, purely because what's in Fedora
> today will be in RHEL/CentOS tomorrow, and I'd like my server OS to be
> sane. If they don't get it right in Fedora now, then my servers of the
> future will be screwed too.

My server OS is sane, but that's because I start with a minimal Debian and
add stuff as required.

Dealing with Red Hat-derived systems is soul-destroying after having used
something as well-assembled as Debian. Why would I care to learn about a
third-rate system that I'm never going to use willingly? If I wanted to do
that as a career move, it'd be far more lucrative to gain a high level of
expertise in Winows or Solaris instead.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk