[Gllug] Hi! (fwd)

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 21:00:07 UTC 2009

Doh used wrong From:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 00:16:56
From: Damion Yates <damion at trap.me.uk>
To: Greater London Linux User Group <gllug at gllug.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Hi!

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009, Matthew King wrote:

> Harry Rickards <hrickards at l33tmyst.com> writes:
>
> > What I want is an ascii implementation of x. ;)
>
> Well I believe there's a GGI X server, and I'm fairly sure that GGI
> had a libaa (ascii art) driver so it's probably not that much of a
> stretch.

Been there done that.  Many many ago at the bbc a colleage ran X under
aalib on a libretto in the hope that it would be faster for video
playback than X itself, as console mode was fast.

It was slashdotted years after he did it.
http://www.meow.org.uk/stan/xserver/

aalib has been surpassed by cacalib and things like vlc will use it if
$DISPLAY isn't set.  It's much more impressive than ascii starwars.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk