[Gllug] Fonts problem in Debian

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Jun 29 13:25:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:56:18PM +0100, lesleyb at herlug.org.uk wrote:
<snip>
> I am wondering - you have users that won't update their systems? Perhaps a script
> (using sudo to execute the aptitude commands) would suffice if they are scared of root?
> You could detect whether there are any updates to do by running a -s safe-upgrade first.

Or the "unattended-upgrades" packages, which is a python script
designed to do this with logging and some safety feaures. You can
set to only upgrade packages from only certain repositories (eg
hardy-security, hardy-upgrades).

Docs used to be a bit lacking when I first looked at it a couple
of years ago, but there has ben some more work since then.

The main config file is /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades,
and to activate it I had to include the following in that file:
--------
// These APT::Periodic settings should mean that /etc/cron.daily/apt
// will update package list and upgrade packages every day. It should
// be noted that places timestamp files in /var/lib/apt/periodic/ to
// stop multiple runs. You must remove them before running it again.
APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
APT::Periodic::Download-Upgradeable-Packages "1";
APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";
--------