[Gllug] Thoughts on secondhand server guide price

Jose Luis Martinez jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 16 17:22:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM, william pink <will.pink at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 5:13 PM, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com>wrote:
>

>> 2009/6/16 william pink <will.pink at gmail.com>
>>

>>> Indeed I think I will just stick on Ebay and see what it collects
>>>
>>> Granny egg sucking hints 'n' tips time here:  wipe the fscking disks
>> before sale.
>>
>> a) Boot with Knoppix CD/thumb drive.  Scrub all partitions.
>>
>> b) Make a list of anyone who has ever had root access to the machine:
>> stalk them they slay them and their immediate families. This is simply a
>> prudent step from a data protection point of view, and no court in the land
>> will convict you.
>>
>> --
>>

> I was thinking about this, will scrubbing the partitions be sufficient
> against preying eyes? Theres only really some RoR dev stuff on there anyway
> which there welcome to if they really want it.

Unless you are a banking, defence or other heavily regulated industry,  just
dd from /dev/null (or /dev/random for the terminally paranoid), or install a
nice distro on top of whatever you have.

When you are in serious need to make sure nobody can get to the data you
just destroy the disk (not you, companies specialized in doing such
pleasurable work).