[Gllug] Large raid 5/5+0 setup

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jun 18 09:38:16 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 02:25:03AM +0100, Justin Perreault wrote:
[...]
> If anyone has any thoughts/direction I would greatly appreciate the
> feedback.

You'll be wanting a Sun Fire X4540. At $22k, it might be quite hard to run
past the missus though. Ignore the Linux fanboys and just leave Solaris on
there so you can get ZFS and format the array RAIDZ2.

It's possible that you can score the EOLed X4500 for a very heavy discount
on that price if you sign up for the Sun Startup Essentials scheme. I'm not
allowed to publish the quotes I've had, but they are disgustingly-cheap for
storage arrays themselves and gouge on the disks.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk